DAY OCCUPIED BY TECHNIQUE

Fine Points of Catch and Recovery Taught Varsity Crew by Coach Wray.--First Four Beat Second.

Red Top, Conn., June 11. Coach Wray devoted most of the time that he spent with the eights today in instructing and drilling them in both ends of the stroke--the catch and the finish. He showed the men how to break the arms into a sharp, driving finish and a quick starting of the recovery. At the catch, he called for a firmer application of power as the weight of the shoulder was put on. In the stretches in which the crews put this coaching into effect, the results were clearly noticeable; the boat ran faster during the recovery, and seemed lighter at the catch. If the men can thoroughly master the technique of these points, if they can put them into practice at a high stroke, it will materially brighten the prospects for the Yale race.

This morning the three four-oared crews held a race, the two University fours going the full two miles, while the Freshmen dropped out at the end of the first mile. When they dropped out, they were on even terms with the first four, having gained this position by a sprint at a high stroke near the close of the mile. On the full distance, the first crew beat the second by a distance of about five lengths.