TEAM EASILY DEFEATS MAINE

BUT NOT PUSHED ENOUGH TO CONCLUSIVELY DEMONSTRATE STRENGTH.

After the very first play in the Maine game Saturday afternoon, the crowd of eight or ten thousand spectators knew what to expect. The score at the end was 34 to 0, and shows clearly that the University team had things its own way. What the score fails to show, however, is that the game had all the ear-marks of the opening game of a season, from fumbling to a complete lack of snap in almost all of the play. What was seen clearest of all was that the 1913 Harvard team needs the services of an accurate punter. The University team, aside from showing a lack in this department, gave very little idea of what may be expected of it ultimately, for it was at no time hard pressed, the visitors never getting nearer than the 25-yard line.

Maine Weak on Line Plays.

Had the Maine team pushed Harvard a little hardel on line plays, it would have been easier to judge of the quality of the new material that was used in the centre positions. As it was, Maine made no first downs, except one on a penalty, and was held for downs three times. Either there was little work for the linemen to do in withstanding the Maine charges, or they did their work phenomenally well. The former was probably the case.

The ends of the line commanded per- haps more attention than the centre, as there are so many promising candidates for the two positions. O'Brien played his usual game, though little came his way. Coolidge played a remarkable game, getting down the field like lightning, and once blocking and recovering a punt. He was replaced by Gardiner, who was watched with a great deal of interest. His hard playing, for which he was always noted, has lost none of its strength and his speed was excellent. He has yet, however, to learn the finer points of end play, as shown by the fact that several times he came through too far and once missed his man.

Bradlee Shows Some Promise.

In the backfield, Bradlee was the chief centre of interest, when he took a hand at quarterback. He certainly handled the ball well, though his plays were not as snappy as could be desired. It seems, however, as if he may yet fill the place satisfactorily when more accustomed to it.

How the Scoring Was Done.

Harvard scored 21 points in the first period. Logan took the initial kick-off 85 yards down the field for the first touchdown. About five plays later, Mahan, on a fake kick, went around right end and by availing himself of good interference and clever dodging carried the ball 70 yards for the second score. The third touchdown followed a recovery of a Maine fumble on her 20-yard line, a few tackle plays, and a fake dropkick play. Mahan went through tackle with the ball. The fourth touchdown came after Maine had been held for downs on her 32-yard line. By a series of plunges the Harvard backs placed the ball on the 5-yard line, from which point Brickley scored. Captain Storer kicked goals from all four of these touchdowns. There was no score in the third period, but at the beginning of the fourth came the last touchdown, made by McKinlock after the ball had been recovered from a fumbled punt and a half dozen line plays had carried it within striking distance. Hitchcock failed to kick the goal.

Charts of the game show the following facts: First downs, Harvard 7, Maine 0; forward passes, Harvard 2 failures; distance gained by plays from scrimmage, Harvard 195 yards, Maine 60 yards; penalties, Harvard 30 yards, Maine 10 yards; punts, Harvard 11 kicks averaging 34 yards, Maine six kicks averaging 40 yards.

The summary:

HARVARD.  MAINE.O'Brien, L. Curtis, l.e.  r.e., HaleHitchcock, l.t.  r.t., RufnerWeston, Mills, l.g.  r.g., GulliverSoucy, W. Middendorf, c.  c., BakerCowen, Underwood, r.g.  l.g., Tipping, WaulkStorer, Elken, r.t.  l.t., MurrayCoolidge, Gardiner, r.e.  l.e., BernheiselLogan, Freedley, Bradlee, q.b.  q.b., CobbMahan, Bradlee, l.h.b.  r.h.b., DonahueBrickley, McKinlock, r.h.b.  l.h.b, Fox, KreigerBettle, Amory, Wallace, f.b.  f.b., Marti