TRIALS FOR ORCHESTRA TONIGHT

Plerian Sodality Will Test Musicians.--Commences its 106th Year.

Preliminary trials for the Pierian Sodality will be held in the Trophy Room of the Union this evening and tomorrow evening at 7.30 o'clock. Every member of the University with ability to play any orchestral instrument or with an interest in orchestral music is urged to report to the director, E. H. Barry '15 at these times.

The Pierian Sodality opens this week its hundred and sixth season of musical activity. Its constant endeavor has been to encourage undergraduate interest in the appreciation of good orchestral music and to provide opportunity for the practical expression of such appreciation. In so doing it occupies an unique position. While controlled entirely by undergraduates, it has proved itself a valuable asset to the Music Department, supplementing in a practical way the theoretical instruction given by the musical faculty. It is by no means necessary, however, that members of the orchestra be students in theoretical music.

From now until Christmas the time will be devoted to rounding the material into shape and to familiarizing new members with orchestral methods and routine. In the first half-year several concerts of a popular character will be given in and about Boston. After the Christmas recess only music representing the highest type of orchestral effort will be played, in preparation for the annual concert in April to be given in Sanders Theatre.