AN ALL-INCLUSIVE WORK

There are Sunday school men, and anti-Sunday school men, and just plain men who believe in Sunday schools. One would not suppose that men of these three types could have a common interest and yet each of them feel that it was his own particular interest. But we think that there is a triangular field of action that will fill the bill.

In the first place, Sunday school men are in duty bound, in order to attain their ideals, to be active in Social Service work. Thus, they must be represented at tonight's Social Service Conference.

In the second place, anti-Sunday school men, unless they are totally devoid of sympathy and ordinary human interest, will enter Social Service with plenty of vim when they understand that its purpose is to carry to unfortunate people, not merely what they derisively call "Sunday school morals," but the knowledge and inspiration and help that radiate from good, strong men. These men would perhaps be glad to know that Social Service work includes activities as interesting and non-religious as doing probation officer work for juvenile courts. And so, they will be expected in large numbers tonight.

And in the third place, the plain men who only believe in Sunday schools will come to the conference because they, too, will appreciate the fact that the slums need examples and encouragement, rather than precepts and charity.

And the whole point of this editorial is that Harvard men of every sort have before them a field for service in which personalities count and where practical problems can be found at a moment's notice. Social Service is not a closed shop for visionary moralists, but is open to any normal man.