TRACK AT YALE AND CORNELL

Coaches at Both Colleges Must Form Practically New Teams.

Preparation for the spring track season has already begun at the different colleges. The coming season promises several surprises, since most of the colleges, except Pennsylvania, seem to report a dearth of material.

The management of the Yale track team describes the situation there in the following statement:

The loss of men by graduation makes it dice to say, at this early date, anything definite as to Yale's possible chances for the coming track season. Men will have to be developed to take the places of Captain Wagoner, of last year's team, who tied for second place in the pole-vault in the intercollegiate; Pickett, in the hammer-throw, and Morris, in the mile-all of whom were sure point winners.

Yale Point Winners.

Captain G. E. Brown '14S., who won the half-mile in the intercollegiate last May, and W. F. Potter '14S., who took second in the 220-hurdles, are the other point winners who should give a good account of themselves again this year. There is a number of men who are fair in the hurdles thus making us well represented in that event.

The greatest need is in the distance events. T. H. Cornell '15, in the short distances; V. Wilkie '15 and A. H. Revell '15S, are good men and should place. The pole-vault is fairly well taken care of and the high jump has an excellent new man in W. Oler '16, captain of last year's freshman team. N. S. Talbot '15S., is back for the hammer and is sure of a place in all the meets. W. F. Roos '15S, is the mainstay in the shot put.

Situation at Cornell

Although over 140 men have reported for the Cornell track team, Jack Moakley, Cornell's famous coach will not be able to make a complete estimate of his material until after the mid-year examinations. Cornell has lost capable athletes in the past as the result of failures in examinations or conditions which entailed probation.

Moakley faces the prospect of developing practically all new intercollegiate point winers. Of the men who scored at the intercollegiate only Reller, who got three points in the hundred, and Van Kennen, who captured half a point in the pole-vault are left. John Paul Jones, with his eight points; Cozzens, with three in the quarter; Whinnery, with two in the broad jump, and Kanzler, with one in the shot-put, have all graduated from the university.

Coach Moakley's Estimate

Among the men Moakley expects to count on after the examinations are Reller and Ingersoll in the sprints; Shelton and Philippi in the hurdles; Mehaffey in the quarter; Brown in the mile; Speiden and Cadiz in the two-mile; Brodt, Warner and Hanrahan in the high jump; Brodt and Lynch in the broad jump; Van Kennen and Halsted in the polevault and McCutcheon and Munns in the weights. However, this nucleus from last year's varsity squad should be much strengthened by the addition of Van Winkle, last year's freshman crack, in the sprints; Millard, a good hurdler; Potter, a fast miler: Sounder, a good half miler and miler; Hoffmire, the cross country crack in the two-mile event; Westbrook in the weights, all from last year's freshman team.

In addition Cornell will have Dave Caldwell, the Massachusetts "Aggie" Olympic half-miler this spring. He is expected to take Jones's place in the half mile, and may run the quarter. Morrison, the Leland Stanford University jumper, who becomes eligible this year; will also be a factor, and if Howard Fritz gets off probation and is able to go out for the pole-vault Moakley will be much pleased. Fritz has perhaps the best from of all pole-vaulters, and two years ago placed in the intercollegiates at 12 feet. He was ineligible last year.