BEGINNING A LEGAL CAREER

Complication of Replies From Law School Graduates Suggests Much of Import to Future Barristera.

Richard Ames '07, Secretary of the Law School, publishes an article in the Law Review for January entitled "Suggestions from Law School Graduates as to where and How to Begin Practice." Mr. Ames, in gathering material for the article, addressed letters to all the graduates of the last ten years and received answers from about, half of them. The questions asked were: (1). "What (as nearly as you can estimate it) have been your net earnings from law each year since graduation?" And (2). "Have you any suggestions to offer to students about to graduate that might be helpful to them in deciding where to locate and under what conditions to begin practice?"

New England Overcrowded.

From the answers received a tabulation was made of the average earnings for the first ten years after graduation from men in many different parts of the country. The figures show that the average earnings range from $664 for the first year to $5000 for the tenth year, the earnings increasing at the rate of about $500 a year. These figures have been deduced from the tables of earning by sections of the country, by size of cities, and by particular cities. On comparison of New England with all the field outside of New England, it is seen that the earnings in this section are less to begin with and less throughout. This is perhaps caused by the fact that New England is more crowded with welltrained lawyers than almost any other part of the country, making the competition keener. In comparing the territory east of the Mississippi, what that west of the Mississippi, it is found that the eastern section has the lower average, and doubtless for the same reason. In the eight year out, the average east of the Mississippi is larger than that west, but this cannot be relied upon owing to the fact that the figures given out for that year for men west of the Mississippi are based upon only ten answers.

Boston. vs. New York.

On comparison of cities of over 100,000 population with those of less than 100,000, it appears that for the first three years the earnings are larger in the small city, but that after that the reverse is in the main true. A fairly accurate comparison was made between Boston and New York, and though the former is distinctly behind for the first five or six years, there seems to be little difference after that.

As to the question of location, many advocate settling in the South or West, on the ground that the beginner has more chance there. The opinions in this are, however, not uniform, and there are some who think that the East offers more opportunities. There is much discussion as to the advisability of setting in a large or small place. It is generally conceded that the man of only fall ability should settle in the small city, for there his ability will count for more. Relatively unknown men or those without exceptional ability or opportunity are advised to keep away from Boston or New York. As to the question of starting in practice, a man has little choice if he has no capital. Most men advise everyone to start with some established firm but there is much discussion as to whether the large or small firm is the more desirable. The ideal combination seems to be the large free which gives its assistants responsibility and variety of work. Ordinarily a man should not go into an office with the idea of remaining there permanently unless he is reasonably sure of being taken into the firm