COMING OPPONENTS SHOW WELL

Yale, Princeton, and Penn. State Evidence Improved Form.

Following are the scores made in games Saturday by the University's future opponents:

Penn State 30, Ursinus 0.

Michigan 3, Michigan Aggies 0.

Princeton 16, Lafayette 0.

Brown, no game scheduled.

Yale 28, Notre Dame 0.

As the middle of the season approaches with the various college football teams rounding into their true form, relative scores form a comparatively solid basis on which to judge the strength of the University's future opponents. Yale and Princeton displayed by far the best exhibition of football that they have shown thus far, defeating the strong teams from Notre Dame and Lafayette, respectively. The Michigan Agricultural College suddenly burst into the football world by holding Michigan to a 3 to 0 score, a single drop-kick by Splawn saving the day for the bigger team. Brown who defeated Wesleyan last Thursday, will not play gain until next Saturday when she faces Cornell at the Polo Grounds in New York. Pennsylvania State won its fourth straight victory, defeating Ursinus, 30 to 0.

The work of the Yale team was a revelation. Notre Dame, considered as advanced exponents of Western football, and famed for deceptive open play and forward passes, came East confident of winning. Yale played conservative football during the first quarter, Notre Dame's backs skirting the ends for steady gains. Coach Hinkey's men, however, started the second quarter with a succession of hard line plunges intermingled with a series of double and triple passes that completely baffled the Western team. Notre Dame resorted to continual forward passing, but the Yale men had been taught a destructive defense for this open style of play and intercepted nearly all of the loser's attempts. Legore, Knowles, Ainsworth, and Wilson, the regular backfield men, played brilliant football individually and collectively. Saturday's game has instilled in the undergraduate body a lot of confidence in Coach Hinkey's methods.

Old Style Game Barely Wins.

Michigan, playing straight old fashioned football, had to fight during every minute of the game to nose out a 3 to 0 victory over the Agricultural College. The game became a plunging duel between Maulbetsch and Julian, and a punting contest between Splawn and Deprato. Statistics show that Michigan gained only 91 yards through the line to her opponents' 98, but had a substantial lead of 70 yards in the punting contest. Hughitt, Michigan's star quarterback, injured his below in the fourth period and will doubtless be out of the game for a month. The withdrawal of Hughitt leaves only two of last year's regulars on the team, a fact which is causing less optimism on the part of Michigan's adherents. The brilliant drop-kicking of Splawnis a source of great satisfaction to Coach Yost, as he believes that this department of the game will be a big factor in the outcome of the Harvard-Michigan game.

Princeton earned a great deal more than 16 points in her 16 to 0 victory over Lafayette. There were numerous golden opportunities carelessly thrown away; Princeton fumbling five-separate times when within her opponents 15-yard line. Princeton won because of the superior punting of Law, whose high spirals averaged between 55 and 60 yards each. The open style of play was a disappointment to the followers of Princeton, who believed that she had mastered this style of game. Out of 19 attempted forward passes, only four were completed and five times certain scores were prevented by passes being intercepted. Boland, who had his first real tryout at quarter, displayed fair judgment and handled the ball well, but did not seem to get much snap into the team.