ROVERS HIT WELL AND WIN, 4 TO 1

Four Bases on Balls by Herter Allow Visitors Only Tally.

The Rovers defeated the United Shoe Machinery Co. team, of Beverly, yesterday in a fairly interesting game by a score of 4 to 1. The Rovers showed up well in the first part of the game, but after, after several substitutions had been made, they were unable to do more than hold their opponents. Had it not been for Herter's weakening in the seventh, the visitors would never have scored. In this inning four bases on falls produced the only run made by the Rovers' opponents.

The Rovers scored two of their runs in the second, on a two-base hit, a single, a stolen base, and an error. In the third they picked up two more, scoring in three hits and an error. With the exception of these two innings R. Muller, who twirled for the visitors, kept the Rovers well in hand. The Rovers' batting order and the score by innings follow:

Ames, Swan, Ellsworth, Whitlock, r.f.; Abbott, 2b.; Ayres, 3b.; Harte, c.; Gannett, Simons, r.f.; Frye, Herter, p.; Tripp, Bernson, s.s.; Ashley, Heinz, l.f.; 'Day, Nash, 1b.

R. Muller and O'Donnel were the battery for the visitors.

The Rovers will play the Calumet A. C. of Stoneham this afternoon on Soliders Field. Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9--R  H  E Rovers,  0  2  2  0  0  0  0  0  0--4  9  3 M. S. M. Co.,  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  0  0--1  2  7