MAHAN STRONG AT DROP-KICKING

Landed Three Goals Out of Four Attempts, One From 42-Yard Line.

Practice for the University football squad was of longer duration yesterday than is usual, the time being spent in the final shaping up of the defence and offence for the western invasion Saturday. The team worked smoothly and swiftly and seemed to have regained much of its former power.

The floating cartilage on Pennock's knee which has been the source of so much trouble to him has disappeared to such an extent that he is taking long runs every afternoon and the chances that he will be in the line-up Saturday are exceedingly good. Wallace and Trumbull were given a rest when the harder work of practice was indulged in, but there is not the slightest doubt but that they will start the game against Michigan.

The improvement shown of late by Francke and Mahan in punting is of great advantage to the University, and Mahan is drop-kicking consistently with great accuracy. The kicking department of the game should compare favorably with that of any future opponent.

The University team faced the second string men for a painstaking drill in formations, both defensive and offensive, that lasted for a long hour. Then all regulars who were on the semi-invalid list were taken out of the line-up and a stiff quarter-hour scrimmage was held between the two teams. The first string men were unable to score a touchdown, but four times advanced near enough to the goal-line to permit Mahan to essay drop-kicks. Of four attempts, three were successful, one being from the 42-yard line.

A feature of the practice was the appearance of several of the men wearing a new style headgear, which is intended to give fuller protection to the forehead and the back of the neck. Once ensconced in this type of headgear, only a small part of the player's face is visible and open to injury. It is the intention of the coaches to have the entire team equipped with this style of head armament.

The team lined up yesterday in the following order: l.e., T. J. Coolidge; l.t., Parson; l.g., Weston; c., Bigelow; r.g., Withington; r.t., Trumbull; r.e., Hardwick; q.b., Logan; l.h.b., Mahan; r.h.b., Francke; f.b., Bradlee