TRIBUTE TO CAMBRIDGE POET

PRES. ELIOT WILL SPEAK AT UNVEILING OF LONGFELLOW'S STATUE

A statue of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is to be unveiled this afternoon at 3 o'clock in Longfellow Park, Cambridge. The chief speaker of the occasion will be President Eliot who will deliver an address after the unveiling of the memorial.

The monument is the work of Mr. Daniel Chester French, sculptor, and Mr. Henry Bacon, architect. It is located in the centre of the Longfellow Memorial Park which extends south from Brattle street to Mt. Auburn street, opposite the Longfellow home. The structure is a bas-relief in Knoxville pink marble, representing six figures of characters taken from the poets best known works, in front of which is set on a projecting pedestal, a bronze portrait bust of Longfellow. The most interesting part of the statue is the bas-relief in the marble slab, depicting Miles Standish, Sandalphon, the village blacksmith, the Spanish student, Evangeline, and Hiawatha. The tablet is in Renaissance style, and is exquisitely shaped and carved. The low relief figures, especially that of Sandalphon, the angel of Glory and Prayer, represent the highest exemplification of of the game should compare favorably with that of any future opponent.

The University team faced the second string men for a painstaking drill in formations, both defensive and offensive, that lasted for a long hour. Then all regulars who were on the semi-invalid list were taken out of the line-up and a stiff quarter-hour scrimmage was held between the two teams. The first string men were unable to score a touchdown, but four times advanced near enough to the goal-line to permit Mahan to essay drop-kicks. Of four attempts, three were successful, one being from the 42-yard line.

A feature of the practice was the appearance of several of the men wearing a new style headgear, which is intended to give fuller protection to the forehead and the back of the neck. Once ensconced in this type of headgear, only a small part of the player's face is visible and open to injury. It is the intention of the coaches to have the entire team equipped with this style of head armament.

The team lined up yesterday in the following order: l.e., T. J. Coolidge; l.t., Parson; l.g., Weston; c., Bigelow; r.g., Withington; r.t., Trumbull; r.e., Hardwick; q.b., Logan; l.h.b., Mahan; r.h.b., Francke; f.b., Bradlee