NEW HOME FOR D. U. COMPLETE

COMFORTS AND CONVENIENCES IN BUILDING IN COLONIAL STYLE.

The new club house for Delta Upsilon, situated at 396 Harvard street, has finally been completed. The exterior of the building, which is constructed of red brick, is in the colonial style which predominated two hundred years ago. The house is nine feet above the street on a grass terrace, against which rises a retaining wall of stone. Three entrances admit to the house; a main entrance, and a gate at either end of the wall leading to the side doors. The lot in the rear of the house is of sufficient area to allow a tennis court and a good expanse of lawn, which may be utilized for spreads and the various club purposes. Two large verandahs overlook the yard. Both are in direct connection with the serving room and in warm weather will be used for open air dining rooms.

The main entrance leads into a large hall, fashioned after the huge halls in the older English lodges. Two stories in height, it extends the entire length of the building. At the west end of this room there is a large raised platform, which will be used as the dining room. One of the features is the electric lighting equipment, which is so arranged that when this platform is pressed into service as a stage, the electric outlets give lighting effects equal to those employed in the majority of theatres. The main floor will be used as a lounge, a huge fireplace being at either end of the Hall. At the east end of the main room there is a gallery, which overlooks a greater part of the lounge and the stage. Here book-cases have been put around the walls, and with the fireplace, form the library. The lounge, the dining room, and the library are uniformly panelled to a height of ten feet with dark-colored rugs and curtains all shade into this harmony of brown, blue and gold. The chestnut wood. The furniture, the upper floor of the building has been turned into a series of suites for the use of club members only. There is a large billiard room in the basement; and numerous showers, coat rooms, and the necessary boiler and kitchen rooms take up the remaining space.

A wing protrudes from the rear of the house in which there is a squash court of the latest type. R. Clipston Sturgis, the architect has spent considerable time and study in arranging and adapting the various rooms for the comfort and convenience of the club members.