RIFLE SHOOTING IN COLLEGES

National Board at Washington Eager to Promote Marksmanship.

Over five thousand college marksmen is the record for the college year ending June 30, 1914. Through the combined efforts of the National Rifle Association of America and the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, rapid strides are being made looking to the introduction of rifle shooting as one of the recognized sports in the colleges throughout the country and the movement has been still further stimulated by a recent act of Congress authorizing the free issue of rifles and amunition to college and university rifle clubs.

This work was begun several years ago by the National Rifle Association backed by the War Department with a result that at the present time there are 42 colleges and universities having well organized and active rifle clubs. National championships are now being carried on annually both indoor and outdoor. The annual competition for college teams is now being organized for the indoor season. These matches are shot on championship for 1914 was won by the Michigan "Aggies" and the outdoor championship was won by the Massachusetts "Aggies."

A feature of this work which is worthy of mention is the fact that there have been no serious accidents of any kind on rifle ranges since the work was introduced, a claim that could hardly hold good in connection with other prominent school sports such as football and baseball.

At the camps of instruction for college students held during the summer, rifle shooting was one of the courses of military training laid down. At these camps 31 students qualified as experts, 114 as sharpshooters, and 219 as marksmen. The National Rifle Association of America presented a cup for an intercollegiate team competition and also a medal for the student making the highest score at each camp. The cup was won by Cornell University, whose four men scored 854.

Information concerning the organization of such clubs may be secured from the Secretary of the National Rifle Association of America, 1108-9-10 Woodward Building, Washington, D. C.