STARS VICTORIOUS OVER ROVERS

Freshmen Get Chance in Sixth.--Rivals Boost Score in Ninth.

The Cambridge Stars defeated the Rovers yesterday by a score of 6 to 4, but only after the Freshman nine had been substituted for the Rovers in the sixth inning. Up to this point the game was all in favor of the Rovers. Frye held the visitors to three hits, and the Rovers had a safe lead of 3 to 0. Garritt, who was substituted for Frye, was wild, but effective, though the Stars scored one run off him in the seventh. In the ninth Powell went into the box for the Freshmen, and proved easy. With a pass and two hits the visitors filled the bases. A passed ball let in one run, an error and a hit scored two more, tying the score. A sacrifice by to left field produced the two runs which won the game.

In their half of the ninth the Freshmen started to even things up. Harrison hit for three bases and scored when a throw to catch him off third was missed. Heinz walked, Ayres popped to third, and de Rahm hit, stealing to second. Powell's fly to right was not deep enough to score on, and Safford was unable to connect, making the third out.

The three runs scored by the Rovers came in the first inning. With one down, three hits and three errors they produced the three runs which should have been enough to win. After the first inning the Rovers were unable to drive in any runs. The fielding of the Rovers was very clean, all the errors being made after the Freshmen had taken the field.

The score by innings: Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9--R.  H.  E. Stars,  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  0  5--6  6  4 Rovers,  3  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  1--4  9  4

Batteries--for Cambridge Stars, Fitzgerald and White; for the Rovers, Frye and Harte, Garritt and Waterman, Powell and Safford.