DRILL ON MULTIPLE PASSING

DEFENCE TAUGHT TO DIAGNOSE YALE FORMATION IN LONG PRACTICE.

After two days of rest, the greater part of the football squad was on the field again yesterday afternoon, and went to work at the problem of solving the multiple passing game used by Yale. T. J. Coolidge was on the field, but not in football clothes, and Hardwick did not report, being given the extra day to rest. He has been worked hard this fall and will be helped by a short period of inaction.

Wallace, who appeared for a short session on Monday, was back again in his old position at centre yesterday, for the first time since the Michigan game. Captain Brickley was also out early in the afternoon for more than an hour, spending most of his time practicing drop-kicking and running. He is able now to kick with either foot with perfect freedom, but has as yet attempted nothing more violent than a hard run around the field.

Yesterday's practice was directed mostly toward finding a defensive formation for use against the confusing Canadian formations which Yale is using. It is apparent that the burden of the defence will fall upon the ends, who will have the assignment of going in to force the development of the play. In this the tackles will be expected to assist in large measure.

Seconds Fail to Gain.

In the scrimmage which lasted throughout the greater part of the afternoon, the second team gave the University ample opportunity to test out various defensive formations, using the plays learned Monday from Coach R. W. P. Brown '98. But for some reason they seemed unable to gain consistently, and the regulars had little difficulty in diagnosing and breaking up play after play.

The team lined up in the following order for yesterday's scrimmage: C. A. Coolidge, l.e.; Parson, l.t.; Pennock, l.g.; Wallace, c.; Weston, r.g.; Trumbull, r.t.; Weatherhead, r.e.; Logan, q.b.; Mahan, l.h.b.; Bradlee, r.h.b.; Francke, f.b.

Now that cold weather has set in the playing field is being covered with hay each night to keep it from freezing As a wide strip through the middle of the field is practically bare it would soon become muddy and slippery if allowed to freeze and thaw