WORK OF HARVARD MEN IN EUROPE

Word Received From Four Members of Faculty and Five Graduates.

The Alumni Bulletin has received the following information about Harvard men who are or have been engaged in work connected with the European war.

Professor E. J. A. Duquesne, of the Department of Architecture, is reported in Paris as a reservist, subject to call, especially in case Paris should be besieged. While waiting for his class to be called, he is devoting his own means to Red Cross work.

Professor Louis Allard, who rendered general service early in the war as an interpreter, is now stationed at Rouen in the English Hospital No. 8, as an interpreter between French and English soldiers.

Mr. L. J. A. Mercier, instructor in French, joined the territorial troops at his native town of Le Mans in France, and, though strongly desiring to be sent to the front, is retained there for the value of his services as chief interpreter, having charge of the office work of that depot of the French army.

Dr. Alfred Luger, an assistant in the Medical School, is attached to the Medical Corps of the Austrian Army.

R. Norton '92 has organized the American Volunteer Motor-Ambulance Corps, for rendering immediate assistance to wounded combatants by rapid transport to hospital. Ten motor-ambulances have already been equipped, and are doing effective work under the supervision of Harvard, Yale, and Princeton graduates. Norton has gone to the front. The work is affiliated with that of the British Red Cross Society.

C. S. Wilson '97, of the American Embassy at Petrograd, has fitted the embassy, at his own expense, as a hospital, and with F. R. Furness '11, third secretary, is caring for wounded Russian soldiers.

R. H. Greeley '01 is at Houlgate, France, where he spends his summers. Since the outbreak of the war he has had charge of the distribution of drugs, in connection with the military hospitals there. At last accounts, he expected to postpone his return to America for the winter, in order to continue hospital work in France.

R. W. Hinds '05, who lived in Buffalo, was appointed one of the five surgeons in charge of units on the S.S. "Red Cross." On September 25 he landed with his unit at Falmouth, England, and at last accounts was at the Hasslor Royal Naval Hospital, near Portsmouth.

S. P. Robineau L.'12 is serving in the French army.