Fine Quality in Illustrated

By R. W. C. .

The Illustrated has achieved something very like quality in its Yale game number. It is more than presentable in appearance, and in content of quite general interest. Although football naturally predominates among the pictures, the staff photographers have not disregarded variety in the make-up. The tennis championships, Red Cross work, the Cornell harriers, a Yale cartoon, and the Freshman dormitories find places among stadiums and football stars. A technician would also appreciate the fine-screen cuts, a clear font of type, and good spacing.

The articles are three in number. The editor-in-chief makes a plea for more of the classics in the curriculum, especially Hellenic culture, his thesis being that at present the language is studied at the expense of appreciation of essentials. Although he recognizes the value of linguistic study, insistence on it means a neglect of Greek culture in translation for most people.--A small voice in a wilderness, perhaps, but one that deserves attention. P. Bradley '16 has written a chatty article on "Harvard Men in Washington," an account of the lesser lights of the administration that might be more comprehensive. "Campaign Work for College Men" by S. B. Hoar '15 is the sort of straightforward article that justifies the Illustrated's title of a "journal of Harvard men and affairs."

The most interesting item under College Comment is a review of Gilbert Seldes article in the October Forum. Mr. Kelley feels that the article is in bad taste, and it seems to me that the feeling obscures for him the undoubted truth of Mr. Seldes' charge that, "cultural activities" do take a very minor part in college life. The intercollegiate news department is a good institution quite up to standard in this issue.

The Illustrated is up and coming. The work of the board in producing such a good paper deserves more recognition than it receives.