More Opposition to Movement.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Certain military authorities in the United States believe the European war contains a lesson of the deepest significance for this country--namely, our dire need of "adequate armaments." Carried away by the importance of perfected military organization disclosed by the war, the military authorities are connecting a strong campaign for increasing the military strength of the United States. In direct opposition to this reaction towards orthodox militarism stand many of the leading minds of the country. Backed by the administration the attempt is being made to hold fast to the ideals of peace in the hour of up heaval and reaction. By maintaining a position of strict neutrality between nations, by standing forth as a country opposed to militarism, the United States possesses an epoch-making opportunity for taking advantage of a situation full of vague rumors of "international police forces" and "a permanent peace."

A clash between the two forces is imminent. Hitherto we in this country have merely toyed with the problems of militarism and armament. Today the question is one of vital concern which, if the varying editorial policies of the press are at all significant, may come to a head as early as in the next Congress.

The indirect influence wielded by such a University as Harvard is infinitely great. It is the duty of the University to attempt a wise solution of this problem by the exercise of the fullest knowledge and most careful deliberation and not by giving apparent judgment through lending the name of Harvard to the formation of a Machine Gun Company. --1915.