YALE ATTACK POWERFUL

Versatile Backfield Gives Coach Hinkey Strong Scoring Machine.--Review of Early Season.

Pre-season football practice at Yale brought to light an abundance of exceptionally good material. Coach Hinkey had veteran backfield men and promising players from the previous year's freshman team from which to develop the attacking element of his offensive machine. The line seemed to demand the greater attention inasmuch as it had been seriously weakened by the loss through graduation of several of its veterans, but numerous substitutes and men from 1917 who were eligible for the first time gave every appearance of being able to keep the standard of the forward defence up to that which has existed for some years past. Preliminary work rapidly rounded the team into shape and football critics awaited with interest the first game from which they might see the style of play which Yale was going to advance throughout the coming season.

The team showed surprisingly good form for early season work in defeating Maine by a score of 20 to 0. Le Gore, last year's freshman, who, with the veterans Ainsworth, Knowles and Wilson, formed the backfield, played a remarkable game, giving ample proof of his ability in line-plunging, open field running and passing. Forward and lateral passes were largely instrumental in the success of the attack and Maine did not seriously bother the Yale line.

Ends Weak On Defence.

The team did not play up to the brilliant promises of the previous week in the contest with Virginia, but a fortunate forward pass and the splendid work of the backfield brought victory to Yale, 21 to 0. A marked weakness in the extremities of the line was evidenced, the southerners gaining considerable ground on wide end runs.

With a crippled team Yale had to use her full strength to defeat Lehigh. At the end of the first half Lehigh had a 3 to 0 lead, but a succession of line-plunges, end runs and complicated for ward passes formed fast attack that resulted in the three touchdowns scored by Yale.

The work of the team the following Saturday was a revelation. Notre Dame came East confident of victory over Yale, but the latter appeared as advanced exponents of the "wide open" game and completely baffled the westerners with a series of double and triple lateral passes intermingled with the line-plunges of Knowles, and the fast end runs of Le Gore. Notre Dame was defeated 28 to 0.

In the hardest battle of the early season the team was defeated by Washington and Jefferson on the following Saturday by the score of 13 to 7. Unable to break up the fast and diversified attack of the opponents' backfield, and at the same time incapable of piercing their defence, Yale played a losing game throughout.

Best Form of Season.

The next Saturday Yale displayed the best form of the season and easily defeated Colgate, 49 to 7, being strong on both offence and defence.

Using straight football Yale defeated Brown, 14 to 6, in their annual contest. The latter eleven showed unexpected strength in all branches of the game, and the Yale substitutes were forced to their limit to nose out a victory.

The strength and versatility of the Yale backfield, together with the exceptional ability of Le Gore and the improved defensive playing of the line gave Yale a 19 to 14 victory over Princeton last Saturday. Substitutes sent in by Coach Hinkey in the latter part of the game were unable to withstand the terrific attack that Princeton put up throughout the last half with the result that the latter team scored twice in quick succession. However, in the early part of the game, with her full force on the field, Yale found little difficulty in gaining when distance was needed