Collegiate Architects Compete

Architectural students of Harvard, Carnegie Technical Schools, Cornell, the University of Illinois, McGill, the University of Pennsylvania, and Syracuse, recently entered the third annual intercollegiate architectural competition. This year Cornell conducts the competition. The competitors are divided into two groups, the first of which is at work on the problem of a gymnasium and surrounding recreation grounds, the second on a federal reserve bank. Three years ago, Mr. Lloyd Warren of New York offered to give for five years $150 in prizes to be divided as the competing schools should decide, and this year, as last, prizes of $90 for the first class and $60 for the second class have been established.

Each individual competitor is required to prepare a preliminary sketch on a single sheet of paper given to him in the class room, working on it not over eight consecutive hours. This sketch is intended to show the scheme that his finished drawing is to follow. Before March 14, the eight best final plans from each school will be sent to the judges, who will meet at the Cornell Architectural School on that date to decide the contest. The award of the prize will be based on the final drawing as a development of the preliminary sketch. The drawings will then be put on public exhibition, and later exhibited at the various schools. They can be seen in Robinson Hall some time in April. Pennsylvania won both prizes last year.