A CLASS WHICH DOES NOT DO WELL

The Freshman class in the few opportunities which it has found to show its worth has done well. So far, of necessity, these opportunities have been athletic: Yale 1917 was defeated , 9 to 6, in football; Yale 1917 was defeated, 8 to 1, in hockey. Now comes an opportunity, another athletic opportunity, which it fails to take. The crew squad is smaller by over fifty men than those of previous years.

Rowing is an opportunity--to novice and experienced man alike. It offers exercise of nearly all the muscles of the body, is enjoyable, and for the majority of the season out-of-doors. It offers a chance for service to the class and the University. Of all the major sports it holds forth to the novice the best chance for development and success, a chance oftentimes better than that of the man with training who is handicapped by the wrong ways he has learned and must unlearn. The opportunity, because of disregard now, draws dangerously near an obligation, especially in a class which has started as well as 1917, and has a record to uphold. Irrespective or previous record, however, it is a shameful titling--to be turning out fifty less candidates for the Freshman crew than did any of the other classes in College.