DANGERS OF WORLD SITUATION

MR. MOTT SEES CONFLICT OF CHRISTIAN WITH NON-CHRISTIAN NATIONS.

That the world situation of today is unique in its many opportunities, but is complicated by unprecedented dangers which require immediate attention, was the keynote of the first lecture of John R. Mott on "The Present World Situation and its Summons," yesterday.

Consolidation of Non-Christian World.

There may have been times when parts of the world had great opportunities, but there never has been and probably never will be a time with such possibilities for progress in every part of the world. Nevertheless, the present is unequalled in dangerous conditions. Owing to the great improvement in means of communication and travel, the nations of the world have been brought close together. As a result, there is an increased friction between the different countries, and a breaking up of the old restraints. It is this tendency towards compactness which presents the gravest danger, namely, the increasing consolidation of the non-Christian world.

Evangelism the Solution.

Numerous remedies for these conditions have been proposed. The segregation of the different races has been suggested, while, on the other hand, others favor an amalgamation. Still a third remedy is a naval and military domination of the non-Christian world by the Christians. All these, however, Mr. Mott declares to be impossible. Even the additional proposal for the spread of education increases the difficulties. It is Mr. Mott's firm conviction that the only way to avoid the rising dangers is to change the disposition of man's inner self, to present to the non-Christians the purest possible form of Christianity.

Urgency for Action.

The striking characteristic of the present time is the urgency for action. Many nations, like China, are in a plastic condition. A spirit of nationalism and of racial patriotism is rising rapidly, with the consequent danger of the conflict of the non-Christians with the Christians. At the same time there has been a growth of the dangerous influences of the non-Christian world upon our own. Here again, it is our duty to prevent any continuation. But instead of having paganism to fight against, we must work against an objectionable form of syncretism and eclecticism. The taking of half-truths of Christianity with half-truths of non-Christian beliefs, makes a combination far more dangerous and far more difficult to remedy than paganism.

Developments of recent years, however, lead Mr. Mott to believe that the future holds forth encouragement. The victories of Christianity have been continuous and far-reaching in all countries. All the events of recent years point inevitably to the passing of the old order and the coming of the new.

Today's Lecture.

The second of the Hyde Lectures on Foreign Missions will be delivered in Sanders Theatre this afternoon at 4.30 o'clock. The subject for today's lecture will be "The Field for Statesmanship in Christian Missions."