PRAISE FOR DRAMATIC CLUB

DR. BERNBAUM SAYS "THE CLOD" APPROACHES PROFESSIONAL EXCELLENCE.

The first performance of the Dramatic Club's spring production was given in Brattle Hall last evening. Three plays, "The Bank Account" by H. F. Brock sC., "The Fourflushers" by C. Kinkead sC., and "The Clod" by E. L. Beach '13 were given. Dr. Ernest Bernbaum '03 has written the following review of the plays:

Dr. Bernbaum Reviews Plays.

It is no easy matter for amateur actors to gain the attention of such an audience as was present at the "undergraduate night" of the Dramatic Club, -- an audience that was at first as critical and unencouraging as young persons of twenty too frequently are, and that had apparently come rather to dance after the performance than to enjoy the plays themselves. The audience cannot be honestly said to have appreciated the merits of the first piece, Mr. Brock's "The Bank Account"; but it warmed to Mr. Kinkead's satirical farce, "The Fourflushers," and received Mr. E. L. Beach's war-time drama, "The Clod" with really enthusiastic ardor. Thus the twelfth production of the Club, though begun somewhat gloomily, ended as successfully as any,--which is no slight achievement.

The merits of "The Bank Account," mentioned in the review of the "Monthly" which will appear tomorrow, are considerable enough to make one regret that the tragedy suffered in the acting. Mr. Loud, as the chief character was good in voice and manner, but made his part too much a monologue addressed to the audience; nor was he adequately supported. More attention should be bestowed by the coach upon the interaction of the characters, their stage positions, and their gestures.

The action of "The Fourflushers" halts in a few places but is on the whole swift and amusing. Its satire upon New York counterfeit society life is witty, and the dialogue is full of bright epigrams. The difficult lines were skillfully read, and all the parts well taken. Miss Ahrens and Miss Stickney gave plausibility to parts that might easily have seemed too absurd even for a farce. The author played the butler, and his acting was as comic as his play is clever.

By far the best performance of the evening was that of "The Clod." Here the acting was so good as to make the illusion complete, and one became absorbed wholly in the story. It is a tale of the Civil War, but that threadbare theme appears for once in a new and surprising form. The principal character a woman too dull to apprehend the great meanings of the conflict, too apathetic to be moved by the peril of thirty thousand men, is by an insult which would seem comparatively trivial to others, but which wounds her only pride, suddenly turned into a fury of righteousness, and, without knowing it, becomes a national heroine. This may be melodrama in its superficial appearance, but at bottom it is something far better. I am greatly mistaken if "The Clod" is not the best one act drama that has been seen here for several years, and if it has not all the essential qualities of well merited success on the professional stage.  ERNEST BERNBAUM

Other Performances.

The next performance will be held in Brattle Hall tomorrow evening at 8.15 o'clock. There will also be a performance in Copley Hall, Boston, on Friday evening at 8.15. Tickets are on sale at the Co-operative Branch, Herrick's, or at Brentford 42. The prices for seats are $1.50 and $1