Trials Today for Speakers

Eight men have entered for the trials of the peace prize oratorical contest which will be held at the Speakers' Club on May 5. The trials will take place in Sanders Theatre this morning from 9 to 10 o'clock, this afternoon from 3 to 5, and tomorrow morning from 9.30 to 11.30 o'clock. Professor I. L. Winter and others will act as judges and the following men will speak: J. Bovingdon '15, R. E. Connell '15, R. C. Fenn '15, A. Fisher '15, G. E. Hubbard '14, S. S. Otis '15, G. P. Pennoyer '15, R. B. Southgate '15. Five of these men will probably be retained for the final contest.

The prize for the contest which is one of $50 was offered by the Massachusetts Peace Society when it was decided that the University would not be represented in the intercollegiate oratorical competition given under the auspices of the Massachusetts Peace Society. The prize will be awarded either in one sum of $50 or in divisions according to the merits of the speakers. The judges of the contest will be Dr. James L. Tryon '90, Professor George G. Wilson, and Professor I. L. Winter. The competition will not take the place of the annual extemporaneous speaking contest for the Speakers' Club cups which will come shortly after.