DUELISTS OFF TO NEW YORK

UNIVERSITY TEAM PARTICIPATES IN INTERCOLLEGIATES AT ASTOR.

The University fencing team will leave for New York this afternoon at 3 o'clock to enter the tournament of the Intercollegiate Fencing Association in the Hotel Astor tomorrow evening and Saturday. In preliminary rounds of the tournament held at the Harvard Club of Boston on March 28, the University team won 14 bouts, Yale 11, and Bowdoin 2. This left Harvard and Yale in the Northern Division for the final matches. Columbia and Cornell will represent the Central Division; and the United States Naval Academy and the University of Pennsylvania the Southern Division.

Of the five teams with which the University will contend, it has defeated during the season Yale and Pennsylvania and has lost to the Navy and Columbia. Considering that the members of the team, which has the same personnel as last year, are all experienced fencers, the University has a fair chance to make second place in the finals, and an excellent chance for third place. Because the material last year was inexperienced, Harvard at that time won only fifth place.

Gold medals will be awarded the members of the winning team; and the fencer on any team who wins the most bouts will be declared the individual intercollegiate champion.

The following men will represent the University in the intercollegiate finals: S. F. Damon '14, of Newton, captain; R. von Nardroff '15, of Brooklyn, N. Y.; J. A. Aylen '15, of Ottawa, Canada; and T. J. Putnam '15, of Boston, substitute. These men and Coach Leslabay will leave Back Bay Station this afternoon at 3 o'clock, and will remain at the Hotel Astor over Sunday