STRIKE STOPS LIBRARY PROGRESS

Bricklayers and Allied Forces Disagree With Marble Workers.

Labor troubles have again held up work on the new Widener Memorial Library. Little progress has been made during the summer months and the University Library authorities have little hope of occupying the new quarters before spring, at the earliest. The interior of the building is in almost the same condition as in June, with the exception of some plastering and a few minor improvements.

This summer's strike, like last year's dispute, is due to internal disagreements among the unions. The Bricklayers, Electrical Workers, Plasterers and Plumbers have combined against the International Marble Workers' Union, because the latter would not join with them in an agreement with The National Marble Dealers' Association. This agreement would mean that the Dealers would patronize the Marble Workers exclusively in all construction work but that the Marble Workers should not insist on union-cut marble. Since labor conditions are very bad in some of the quarries the Marble Workers could not agree to this, nor to other unfavorable terms of the agreement. Accordingly, the other unions would not work with them and continue to strike, with the exception of the plasterers, who have returned. It is expected that work will now progress more rapidly, although the Electrical Workers, Fitters, and Plumbers are still out.