TECHNOLOGY BUILDINGS ARE NOW STRUCTURALLY COMPLETE

Some Interior Work Only Remains and Structures Will be Ready for Use in September.

The handsome and capacious new buildings of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, extending from Massachusetts avenue in Cambridgeport along the Charles River Basin, half way to Kendall square, are now structurally complete, except for the great central dome, and the front of the Library. The work has been in progress for two years and there remains now to be done only some interior work on the main buildings, and the erection of the Mining Building. This though now just started, will be finished with the rest, and be ready for occupancy next September. The Pratt School of Naval Architecture alone will not be complete at that time, as the terms of the legacy do not permit its being started for several months yet.

The main Institute buildings are arranged in a great quadrangle, open toward the river, the portico of the Library, surmounted by the dome, occupying the central position. They are made of reinforced concrete, and are absolutely fireproof, the floors being stone, and the stairs iron. The total cost of their construction has been estimated at $10,000,000, and the lot on which they are built contains fifty acres. This includes the new athletic fields, which are already in use, and boast one of the best tracks in the country.

The old Technology buildings, on Boylston street, Boston, near Copley square, will, with the exception of the Rogers and Walker buildings, be offered for sale next June. These two will be retained for the department of architecture.

The new quarters of the Institute of Technology are of special interest at this time because of the recent plan for co-operation with the University, which will go into effect next September. At that time the Harvard Graduate School of Applied Science will be merged with the engineering department of the Institute, and the enlarged Faculty of Engineering, appointed and salaried jointly by the University and by Technology, will offer courses which will count toward a degree in either or both institutions. Students under that Faculty will have all privileges of Harvard, and all those afforded by Technology.