GILMAN UNANIMOUSLY ELECTED TO LEAD 1916 FOOTBALL TEAM

VETERAN OF TWO SEASONS

Joseph Atherton Gilman, Jr., '17, of Honolulu, Hawaii, was yesterday unanimously elected captain of the University football team for the season of 1916. The 24 "H" men met at Notman's at 1.45 o'clock to have the picture of the team taken and, at the same time, to cast their votes, as it is customary, by secret ballot.

Gilman was regular left tackle on the team this fall. He played on his Freshman team, which beat the Yale Freshmen 18 to 17, and alternated between the guard and tackle positions two years ago. He left College last year and took a position in Washington, D. C. On returning this fall he was moved from guard to tackle, which position he held throughout the season. He prepared at Exeter and played on the football team there. He is 23 years old, 6 feet 1 inch tall, and weighs 187 pounds.

Speaking of Gilman in his analysis of the University line, R. W. P. Brown '98 said: "Gilman . . . from his long experience is probably the best individual in the Crimson rushline. He knows the game thoroughly, is strong, active and fast down under punts, making many a tackle when the runner has eluded the ends."

The last official meeting of players and coaches came last night at an informal dinner at the Varsity Club.

Plans Completed for Dinner.

On December 21 the dinner, tendered by the Harvard Club, will be held at the Copley-Plaza. Plans for the dinner are already completed. Applications for tickets at $4.50 apiece should be sent to Sidney Curtis '05, 50 State street, Boston, as soon as possible. Each applicant should give, besides his name and address, his class or department and the year in which he was connected with the University.