Radical Changes Made in Swimming Regulations

Intercollegiate swimming and water polo rules, which have been undergoing revision for some weeks by the Graduate Advisory Committee of the Intercollegiate Swimming Association, have just been announced. In the swimming rules the "flying Dutchman" drive has been eliminated. The scoring for the prescribed and voluntary dives remains the same. The question of dividing the pool into lanes for a dual meet was left undecided.

The polo regulations have been changed to lessen the rough play to a considerable extent. Specific rules have been made regarding fouls, and especially personal fouls. The penalties have been graduated and the referee is required to announced both the nature of the offense and the name of the player. The most radical change forbids a player to hold the opponent with the ball, or any other player within four feet of the ball under water for more than 10 seconds. Another change allows the team in possession of the ball to make substitution at any time. The captains are not permitted to take time out more than twice in each period and the rest is limited to two minutes.