A SUPPLEMENT, NOT A SUBSTITUTE

In another column is printed an article by Dr. Sargent emphasizing the fact that physical fitness is of far greater importance in the movement toward preparedness than is military drill. Granted; but Dr. Sargent goes on to minimize the value of a university battalion on the ground that students' time might better be employed either on the athletic field or in the State Militia. What about those men who do not participate in athletics and who are not members of the militia, yet who might be induced to join such an organization as is proposed for the University?

No one will deny, furthermore, that a tactical knowledge of the Manual of Arms is of some use to a prospective recruit. The General Staff doubtless is not satisfied with the work done in this line in state colleges and preparatory schools providing military training--we sincerely hope it is not--but this seems all the more reason for establishing a University battalion to see if we cannot more nearly approach that degree of efficiency which will satisfy the General Staff. And since, in addition to a sound physique and a knowledge of chemistry, emphasized by Dr. Sargent, it is necessary for an efficient officer to be versed in drill regulations, why not supplement our other training by work in the University Battalion?