PI ETA PLAY SCORES SUCCESS

FIRST PUBLIC PERFORMANCE OF "ROBIN THE ROBBER" GIVEN LAST NIGHT.

"Robin the Robber," the 1915 Pi Eta production, written by P. Blackmur '15 with lyrics by P. S. Davison '16 and music by M. F. Hall '15, had its first public performance last night in the club theatre. The play was very well received by an appreciative audience which filled the house. Following the play there was dancing until 1 o'clock.

Reviewer Lauds Comedy.

"The best yet" means a great deal as applied to the theatricals of the Pi Eta Club, and yet it is a verdict pronounced with emphasis by those who saw the first public performance of "Robin the Robber" last night. The play has every element of originality, wit, and sustained action that makes a musical comedy good instead of mediocre--or worse. If there is one weakness which has characterized many previous plays of the club, it is the lack of a substantial basic plot. One cannot criticise the present production upon that ground. The music is well written; several of the numbers are decidedly catchy, although as a whole the music would be more effective if the solos were sung by voices of higher calibre.

R. E. Allen made a charming princess and with Paul Blackmur, the Robber Chief, carried off the vocal honors. F. F. Munroe, as Ichabod Gottem, played the comedy role with great success and the work of J. W. D. Seymour, the villain was meritorious.

Every amateur theatrical production has its faults and the noticeable falling of "Robin the Robber" lies with the orchestra. It is unfortunate that the professional element is not allowed to creep in at this point, for the orchestra is the backbone of a musical comedy. Murray Hall, however, conducted extremely well for an amateur and undoubtedly the music will improve under his leadership. The dances of the chorus were uncommonly clever and pretty; the female principals were likewise, and the masculine principals were never overshadowed in ability. Yet this is not all, for lighting and costuming are added with a lavish and skilled hand to complete a really remarkable production, fully worthy to maintain the high reputation of an organization which is one of the foremost in the country in amateur theatricals. J. A. LOUD '98.

Other Performances.

There will be five more performances of "Robin the Robber": Monday, at Jordan Hall, Boston; Tuesday, at Cumming's Theatre, Fitchburg; Thursday, at Music Hall, Quincy; Friday, at the Club Theatre; and Saturday night at Exeter. Tickets at $1.50 for the performances at Jordan Hall and the club theatre; at $1 for those at Quincy and Exeter; and at $2, $1.50 and 75 cents for the Fitchburg performance may be obtained from L. W. Smith, Westmorly 36.