THE SCHOLARSHIP SERVICE BUREAU.

The CRIMSON announces in another column the formal inauguration of a new project, which it is hoped will perform a valuable service to the scholarship of the College. The Scholarship Service Bureau aims to make itself useful to men who are doing poorly in their studies, but who have some seriousness and are able to profit by assistance. Under the present system, the man who fails to learn by experience how to study effectively receives no direct guidance or aid; and he soon finds himself on probation, fast sinking to the danger level.

The new Bureau, which is under the auspices of Phi Beta Kappa, is enlisting in its services other men of scholarly ability; and it will attempt to give such guidance to all men who need it. Without doing actual tutoring, the purpose will be to give assistance in the planning of studies and general methods of study. The student adviser will begin where the Faculty adviser leaves off. Particularly is the desire of the men who are giving their services to the Bureau to touch,--in a phrase used by President Lowell,--the intellectual curiosity of the less successful students; in short; to arouse their interest in scholarship and to increase their efficiency.

The plan is unique in that, unlike the tutorial systems in use in English and some other universities, it does not aim to bring into closer union students and preceptors, but is a relation entirely between students. The intercourse between the student who is advised and the student adviser is expected to be informal, though serious. The work of the Bureau, will be watched with interest; and if its success continues, may well suggest like improvements elsewhere. The hearty co-operation of that part of the student body which will be affected is essential to this success.