SELECTIONS AND APPOINTMENTS

Preliminary Choice for Prize of Rome.--Instructors Picked.

In the first preliminary competition since the establishment of the Prize of Rome in Landscape Architecture, the following persons have been selected by the jury, from twenty competitors in various parts of the country: Edward G. Lawson, of Cornell; Elbert Peets, Assistant in the University; Brewer Whidden Pond, Instructor in the University; Frank A. Cushing Smith, Instructor at the University of Illinois. The Prize of Rome in Landscape Architecture was recently established through negotiations carried on by Professor J. S. Pray, of the Harvard School of Landscape Architecture, with the American Academy in Rome. It consists of a three years' Fellowship with a stipend of $1000 a year for the study of landscape architecture in Europe, with Rome as a base.

The jury which made the selections and which will make the final award soon after May 29, when the competition ends, consists of the following: Professor J. S. Pray '95, of the University, chairman; Professor Bryant Fleming, of Cornell; Mr. Ferruccio Vitale, of New York; Mr. Breck Trowbridge, of New York; Mr. George W. Breck, of New York; Mr. James E. Fraser, of New York.4

At a meeting of the President and Fellows on April 12 the following appointments were made: George Andrew Pease and Chester Fisher Wolfe, Fellows in Dental Anatomy; Wallace Osgood Fenn 1G, and Frank Jason Smiley 1G., Assistants in Botany; Timothy Dwight Bool 2G., Assistant in Economics; Louis Dayton Stilwell 2G. Assistant in History; Robert Herbert Loomis 1G., Assistant in Social Ethics; Carl Cheswell Forsaith 2G., George Safford Torrey 2G., and Oran Levi Raber 1G., Austin Teaching Fellows in Botany; George Falley Ninde 3G. and Brackett Kirkwood Thorogood, Demonstrators in Engineering Drawing (re-appointed); Hyme Loss 1G., Instructor in French and Greek; Sturgis Ellend Leavitt 2G., Eugene Louis Raiche, Neil Cole Arvin 2G., Instructors in French (latter two re-appointed); Guillermo Rivera 6G., Instructor in Spanish; and George Luther Lincoln '96, Rudolph Altrocchi 5G., Henry Grattan Doyle '11, and Albert Philip Happel 2G., Instructors in the Romance Languages (all re-appointed); Robert Hudson George 3G., Arthur Eli Monroe 2G., Richard Ager Newhall 4G., Edmond Earle Lincoln 1G., Tutors; Julius' Klein 6G., Instructor in History; Harold Galliland Crane and Chester Laurens Dawes, Instructors in Electrical Engineering (re-appointed).

The following three scholarships in the Bussey Institute were awarded: the George H. Emerson Echolarship to Owen Francis Burger 1G.; the Priscilla Clark Hodges Scholarship to Howard Madison Parshley 1G.; the University Scholarship to Jay Boardman Park 2G. The Class of 1908 Sexennial Scholarship was assigned to William Brackett Sow, Jr., '18. Sheldon Fellows were assigned as follows: Carl Alfred Lanning Binger '10, A.B., M.D., in Medicine; William John Crozier 3G., S.B., A.M., in Zoology; Wilbur Garland Foye 4G., A.M., in Geology; James Hinton 4G., A.M., in English; Julius Klein 6G., A.M., Litt.M., in Spanish-American History and Economics; William Mann 3G., A.B., in Zoology; Richard Stockton Meriam, A.B., in Economics; Benjamin Yoe Morrison 2G., S.B., in Landscape Architecture; Norman Burdett Nash '09, A.B., in Theology; Frederick Ernest Richter 2G., A.B., in Economics; Glen Harwood Spangler 2G., A.M., in Spanish; Leonard Tompson Troland 3G., S.B., A.M., in Psychology; and Sewall Green Wright 3G., S.M., in Zoology. Leslie Gale Burgevin '15, Henry Gilman '15, Robert Francis Kelley '15, and Carl Wallace Miller '15 were made Frederick Sheldon Prize Fellows.

William Raymond Taylor, a Senior in the University of North Carolina was awarded the Charles Elliott Perkins Graduate Scholarship, for work in the Graduate School. The Princeton Fellowship was awarded to Charles Clifton McCoy, a senior at Princeton, for work in the Medical School. Harold A. Bruner, a senior in Drake University was awarded the James A. Rumrill Graduate Scholarship for work in the Law School. William T. Read of the University of Texas was awarded the Special Fellowship in Chemistry.

Gifts were acknowledged to the amount a of $72,908.43, of which the largest single item was $50,000 received from the trustees of the will of Phillip C. Lockwood '08, to be kept as a trust fund in memory of Mr. Lockwood, the income to be devoted to the general purposes of The Cancer Commission of the University.