Concerning the Regatta.

Communciation

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Harvard Invitation Regatta on Saturday and Monday is the first of many which the rowing management of Harvard hopes to hold. The Invitation Regatta is filling an important position. It aims to give the man a chance to compete in a public event, who cannot make the University crew or even the class crews this season. It is valuable to the coaches because it will enable them to pick likely men for next year's crews.

Lest these facts be not appreciated by the Freshmen who have shown such a pathetic lack of spirit and energy, let me remind them that Freshman numerals are not a necessary adjunct to a University crew man. Several Instances can be given of men who have made an "H" in rowing who were not taken to New London at all in their Freshman year.

Now Saturday is an inconvenient time for many men to row, but it is the only time at which it is possible to hold such a large regatta. The Freshman dormitory crews are an essential part of the regatta and of the dinner at the Weld Boat Club on Saturday evening. The members of the committee are making great sacrifices to bring success to the event. Let us hope that the class of 1918 can help to close the interdormitory rowing season, for which so many have done so much, as successfully as the other sports. PAUL WITHINGTON '09.   Chairman for the Regatta Committee.