HELPING UNDERGRADUATE HEALTH

Dr. Lee's report on the physical examination of the Freshman class, which appears in the current issue of the "Alumni Bulletin," presents much interesting and significant information. This year, for the first time, a compulsory physical examination was made of the whole Freshman class.

In the first place, the results of the examination revealed in general a surprisingly healthy body of men. Very few serious ailments were discovered, and the majority of men examined were in unusually good physical condition. This would seem to refute the notion that college men are declining physically.

The obvious value of these examinations lies in the detection of a certain amount of disease, which, if detected early enough, can be cured. A number of such cases were discovered, and were subsequently corrected. Some cases, too, were detected which call for careful observation, perhaps throughout the college course.

The most important effect of the examination appears, however, to be the assurance of a number of men who had been led to believe that they were diseased, that they were in reality quite normal. Actually there were more men who believed that they had serious organic trouble and hadn't, than men who believed themselves well and were diseased. Worry over imagined ailments, very often results in serious effects upon the general condition.

These examinations mark a change in policy in dealing with college men, a change which indicates that henceforth the physical condition of the student will be given as important consideration as his mental condition. As such, they will occupy a place of considerable importance in the future.