PHI BETA KAPPA ELECTIONS

With the election last night of five men from those graduating with distinction, the University chapter has completed its quota of forty members from the class of 1915; and doubtless the Society will as usual receive some criticism for the results. Undeniably on the margin there are some men, with qualifications nearly or even practically as good as the last few men chosen, who yet fail to be elected. This is inevitable, for the line must be drawn somewhere. The prestige of the society and the value of membership in it depend upon restricted numbers. It must also be remembered that Phi Beta Kappa does not claim to reward latent mental ability: it bases its elections upon scholarly achievement in College and evidence of scholarly promise.

That this end is attained there can now be little doubt. An invigorating criticism from both inside and outside has aided in the evolution of methods and standards as impartial as can perhaps exist in a matter where judgment must be exercised. An article by the secretary published recently in the Illustrated, and setting forth frankly the methods of election, makes this plain.

It is, however, highly desirable that these methods be officially and clearly defined. The constitution of the Society merely states that "scholarship and good character shall be the grounds of election." But traditions are frail, and those which Phi Beta Kappa has built up for its elections could well be set forth in the by-laws and made accessible in print to the members. At present continuity is attained only through the few Junior members whose interest leads them to attend elections at which they have no vote.

Phi Beta Kappa is not a secret organization: it rewards scholarship in the entire College. And it is in the belief that it discharges that function in ways essentially satisfactory that this suggestion for crystallizing those methods is offered. Care should be taken that future members appreciate the fact that it is scholarship alone, freed from all personal considerations, upon which they are to base their elections.