BINGHAM UNANIMOUSLY CHOSEN TRACK CAPTAIN

Won Half-Mile in Yale and Cornell Dual Meets.-Led His Freshman Team.

William John Bingham '16, of Methuen, was yesterday unanimously elected captain of the University track team for the season of 1916. His best event has always been the half-mile, though last year he was used in the 440-yard dash in several meets, and he has been a prominent member of the 1560-yard relay team for the last two seasons.

Bingham began his running career at Phillips Exeter Academy, where he cap- tained the team in his senior year, and ran the middle distances. He was captain of the 1916 Freshman team and won the half-mile against the Yale freshmen. Last year he won the 440-yard run in the Cornell dual meet, and was second against Yale. He was a member of the 1560-yard relay team which broke the world's record in 3 minutes and 3 seconds against the B. A. A. He ran on both relay teams last winter, and during the out door season just completed he won the half-mile against Cornell, making a new dual record of 1 minute, 56 1-5 seconds, and then bettered this time against Yale, winning in 1 minute and 56 seconds. He is 25 years old, 5 feet, 10 inches tall, and weighs 155 pounds.W. J. Bingham '16, Track Captain Elect.