GRAND OPERA HOLDS STAGE

STARS SING SIEGFRIED IN STADIUM TONIGHT AT 7.30 O'CLOCK. SEATS ON SALE.

The production of Wagner's "Siegfried," which has been in preparation for weeks, will take place in the Stadium this evening at 7.30 o'clock, if the weather is fair. In case of rain, the performance will be held on the first pleasant evening not including Sunday. If the weather is doubtful today, the CRIMSON will post a notice in Leavitt & Peirce's window by 5 o'clock saying whether the performance will take place tonight.

A small number of unreserved seats in the collonade will be placed on sale at Leavitt & Peirce's this morning at 9 o'clock, at $1 each. These will be sold only to students of the University. Regular reserved seats at $1.50 and $3, boxes at $30, $35 and $40, and box seats at $5 will be on sale at the store of M. Steinert and Sons Co., Boylston street, Boston, until 3 o'clock. At 3.30 o'clock the seat-sale at the Soldiers Field entrances will begin.

The artists will play the following parts: Brunnhilde,  Mme. Gadski Erda,  Mme. Schumann-Heink Waldvogel,  Mme. Alma Gluck Mime,  Mr. Albert Reiss Der Wanderer,  Mr. Clarence Whitehill Alberich,  Mr. Otto Goritz Fafner,  Mr. Basil Ruysdael Siegfried,  Mr. Johannes Sembach Conductor,  Mr. Alfred Hertz

The regular orchestra of the Metropolitan Opera House, New York City, will play.

Wagner's Favorite Work.

The first act of "Siegfried" discovers Mime at work at his forge, making a sword for the young hero, who enters with a young bear. He asks Mime for his new sword, which he immediately shatters at the anvil, with many words of abuse. Finally Siegfried gets the whole story of his parentage, and leaves with orders to make a sword of the fragments which Sieglinde had given him. Mime is in despair, for he has tried to do this many times without success. At this juncture Wotan enters, disguised as a wanderer. He seeks news of Siegfried, and asks Mime's hospitality. Siegfried upon returning finds Mime's task unaccomplished, so he forges the sword himself, all the while singing a magnificent song. The sword finished, he strikes the anvil asunder.

The second act shows Alberich near the dragon's cave, waiting for an opportunity to get the gold. Wotan enters and announces that Siegfried is on the way, and suggests that Alberich offer this knowledge to the dragon in return for the ring. To this, however, the dragon replies with a yawn, and turns again to sleep. Day dawns as Mime and Siegfried enter. Mime tries vainly to excite Siegfried with fear. Blowing a loud fanfare on his horn. Siegfried wakes the dragon, who advances to meet him. In the ensuing fight Siegfried kills the dragon, but accidentally tastes of his blood which gives him the power of understanding the song of the birds. A bird tells him of the treasure, which he brings from the cave.

In the third act Wotan tells Erda, the goddess of earth that he is contented that man shall supersede the gods. As Erda sinks into the earth, Siegfried enters and inquires the way to Brunnhilde's rock. Wotan lays his spear across the way, but Siegfried shatters it, and advances to the flames, which envelop the stage. Finally they clear and discover Siegfried on the rock. He has never seen a woman, and thinks Brunnhilde is a beautiful warrior. He loosens the helmet, sees for the first time the long tresses of a woman, and is seized with fear. But he stoops and kisses her, and she awakes. She recognizes Siegfried but remembers her former divinity, and tries to repulse him; she is no longer a goddess, however. A glorious love duo brings the work to a close

Wagner's Favorite Work.