Socialists Held Seventh Convention at Columbia

The Intercollegiate Socialist Society held its seventh annual convention at Columbia University last week, when representatives of 23 colleges and universities gathered at the seven sessions. More than 50 delegates were present at each meeting, together with many friends and unofficial representatives. New England colleges sent the largest single sectional representation--16 delegates. Of the seven New England institutions, Yale led in the number of delegates with five, and the University was second with four. The University representatives were A. C. Binder '16, president of the Socialist Club, H. L. Blumgart '17, D. M. Brunswick '18, and H. Feis '16, secretary of the Socialist Club.

Dr. A. L. Trachtenberg, of the Yale delegation, made a vigorous speech denouncing the "militarization" of our colleges, as shown by the formation of the Yale Battery and the Harvard Regiment. At his suggestion, a committee, of which he is chairman, was appointed to investigate the extent of "militarism in our colleges," and to launch a counter campaign. An informal vote showed an almost unanimous sentiment among the delegates against military training in the colleges of the country.