FRESHMEN HAVE REAL TREAT

Undergraduate Speeches With Diversion of Movies Highly Enjoyed.

At the smoker given to the Freshman Class by the Union in the Living Room of the Union last night, W. H. Meeker '17 made the first speech of advice to the yearlings. He spoke about the various non-athletic activities in College and the Senior Adviser system. There are lots of other things in College besides athletics. The first thing is Phi Beta Kappa. Next in importance are the various publications. Besides the CRIMSON and Lampoon there are the Advocate, Monthly and the Illustrated, which is the youngest publication in College. Then there is the Musical Review for any who are musically inclined. For those who can sing, there is the Glee Club, and for those who can speak there is the Debating Club, which takes part each year in a triangular debate with Yale and Princeton.

"In regard to the Senior Advisers, go to see these men and become acquainted with them. They know more about the College than you do, and can give you good advice."

C. A. Coolidge '17 brought two messages from the Senior Class. "A Freshman feels as if he is a rather inconspicuous person, looked upon with contempt. He feels as if he must be apologetic to the upper class men. This is entirely wrong. The attitude of a Senior toward the Freshman is one of deepest interest. He realizes that difference of class does not mean a difference in personality. He is interested to meet and know the men who will succeed him in a few years.

"The chief object this first year, however, is to get together as a class. Class spirit is the foundation of College spirit. If you get class spirit now, you will keep it always, and when you graduate there will always be that class to which you will belong, which will last until the last members have gone."

In ending the evening's entertainment D. M. Little '18 asked more men to join the Union. Last year between 300 and 400 Freshmen belonged to this institution, and so far this year only about 150 have joined.

Following each speaker was some form of entertainment. Three moving pictures were shown, "Luke's Speedy Club Life," "The Lady Killer" and "Leap Year," an animated cartoon by Goldberg. In addition there was an excellent musician who played popular airs on the accordion. The usual refreshments were served, and cigarettes were on hand.