HUGHES DECISIVELY DEFEATS WILSON BY PLURALITY OF 513 VOTS IN STRAW BALLOT TAKEN BY CRIMSON

LEADING CANDIDATE RECEIVED TOTAL OF 1,140, OR 662 LESS THAN WHOLE NUMBER OF BALLOTS CAST, FIGURES SHOWING TREMENDOUS SUPPORT ACCORDED HIM.

By a plurality of 513 votes over Woodrow Wilson, Charles Evans Hughes won the straw ballot presidential election conducted by the CRIMSON yesterday.

Out of a total of 1,802 votes cast, Hughes received 1,140, or 62 per cent.; Wilson, 627; Allan L. Benson, 24; J. Frank Hanley, 10; Underwood, 1.

This indicates that those men who supported Roosevelt last spring have turned entirely to Hughes, while Wilson kept approximately the same number of followers. The total number of votes yesterday is the largest since the spring of 1912 when Taft was elected with 783 votes to 488 for Roosevelt and 432 for Wilson, out of a total of 1,989 votes cast. Wilson was elected in the fall of 1912 by the greatest number of votes ever cast for him, 735, to 475 for Roosevelt, and 365 for Taft, out of a total of 1,608. Roosevelt took the lead last spring with 660 votes 519 for Wilson and 348 for Hughes out of a total of 1,736. Yesterday's election was the only one where any candidate secured a majority of votes cast. Hughes received a majority of 662 votes.

The vote taken at Memorial Hall showed Hughes leading with only 54 per cent, of the votes cast, or 456, to Wilson's 366, barely winning with a 90 plurality; Benson received 13 votes and Hanley 7 at this poll.

At the CRIMSON Building, however, Hughes secured a landslide. There were 960 votes cast and 684 of these were for Hughes, Wilson received a smaller number here than he received at Memorial Hall, although over a 100 more votes were cast. The percentage of votes for Hughes at this poll was 72 per cent. Benson received 11 votes here Hanley 3, and Underwood 1.

The president of the Republican Club expressed great satisfaction over the results of the elections and stated that the result nearly corroborated his predictions of the final vote, and believed the Republicans would win.