HUGHES ELECTED.

The victory of Charles Evans Hughes in the CRIMSON straw ballot was not surprising to those who have some knowledge of the political opinion in the University. Yet the overwhelming Republican plurality was unlooked for. Glancing back to the vote of 1912 when Wilson led, it is interesting to note that the combined number of ballots cast for Roosevelt and Taft exceeded by a comfortable margin the total vote for Wilson. True to the result indicated by the CRIMSON straw ballot. Wilson was elected in 1912. Can the obvious conclusion be drawn from this year's vote and a Hughes' victory be prophesied for November 7?

The result of the voting at Memorial Hall ought to be regarded as more significant of the University's political sentiment than the verdict of the ballot box at the CRIMSON Building. Hughes' plurality over Wilson at Memorial was only 90 votes. This indicates that the more intelligent vote of the graduate students gave Hughes a small plurality. Since the graduate schools show a wider range of geographical distribution, it is only right to regard their choice as nearer to what the final result will be in the National election.

The increase of 200 votes over the total number polled in the Presidential ballot of 1912 points encouragingly to the fact that College men are taking a greater and more active interest in National politics. Whether the Old Guard holds away over Harvard undergraduates or not, provided the College is politically alive, "good times" prevail.