THE FOOTBALL TEAM

Having experienced for many years an Augustan age of undisputed empery, Harvard is in a less proud but trebly adventurous age of barbarian invasion. It is hard for a team that has known four defeats within more than twice that number of years to fall before a supposedly unimportant antagonist. Defeat after victory is always hard. Nevertheless it is inevitable. It is humiliating for great empires when little Vandal tribes tear down their ancient temples. But Caesars perish and the relentless foe creeps in.

Such men as Mahan and Brickley were our Caesars and our generals. With them victory became synonomous with contest. Those were our palmy days when undergraduates sat in the Stadium with a feeling of assurance that defeat was outside the realm of probability.

This year the team needs more than the passive presence of the undergraduate body. Every man's support at the games is vitally necessary to aid in the team's development for the ultimate victory at New Haven. Enthusiastic, interested cheering may seem of small value to certain lazy individuals, but the men who know and appreciate this form of encouragement are the players. At the crucial moment, when the enemy is threatening our goal line, a ringing cheer, with its instant, psychological effect, often turns defeat into victory.

At this early stage of the team's development there is no reason for discouragement. The football year is still young, and if the undergraduates fight today and every other Saturday with the same determination as their team, there can be only one result, victory.