HARVARD AND CORNELL CLASH WITH ODDS EVEN

Critic Finds Steady Development of Team During Last Two Weeks Gives it Fair Chance to Win.

By Melville E. Webb jr.

Football Editor, Boston Globe.

Harvard's football team will have a real mid-season test in the Stadium this afternoon in its annual match with Cornell. For years Harvard's football teams have figured on taking all opponents in a so-called "stride," but this year, because of Cornell's victory in 1915, the game with Dr. Sharpe's eleven is regarded as of more than usual importance.

Harvard, while not ever losing sight of Princeton or Yale, may well regard the Cornell game today as important. The Cambridge team, moulded as it has been mainly from green and inexperienced material, received a shock in its recent game with Tufts, and there can be no discounting the value of the mental stimulation and confidence for the late season that may come from a satisfactory result against Cornell today.

Cornell Misses Veterans.

Cornell, however, like Harvard, enters what now is its most important game with a mixture of old and new players. There are three new men on the rush line and two in the backfield; and, moreover, Cornell's loss has been of men who were as important factors in the team's 1915 success as were Harvard's missing 1914 veterans in the matches against Princeton and Yale last year.

University's Progress Rapid.

Harvard surely has been making splendid strides during the past two weeks. The M. A. C. game showed that the eleven is being coached to fight and to fight hard, and save for possibly one or two positions, the team has been working together for two weeks at a stretch. Harvard this year is physically well qualified. The question for today is whether the team as a whole has been able to assimil- are the thorough coaching received and is ready to put on the football it should know.

It is not to be expected this year that Harvard will match last year's efficiency in the final games, regardless of results. Nevertheless, it should be remembered that last year a great Harvard team, playing the poorest of football, was beaten by Cornell. It is the writer's opinion that it will not be difficult for Harvard this year to play a better game against the Ithancans than was shown by the 1915 eleven in that game.

Team can Improve on 1915 Playing.

Cornell, last season, won because it took advantage of the opportunities that Harvard so generously and so continually offered. There was no doubt of Cornell's superiority on that October day last year. This season, however, Cornell has shown little to warrant the team's being considered stronger than it was a year ago at this time. Harvard, on the other hand, is capable of playing better football this afternoon than the eleven did last year in its Cornell game.

The test for Harvard should be one to indicate the final possibilities of the team. Cornell has a slight advantage in rush line weight and possibly a little more because of seasoned linemen. In Shiverick the Cornellians have a kicken whose 1915 performance was phenomenal but one which he has not repeated.

Harvard surely is better prepared to meet Cornell's style of attack than last October. In addition, Coach, Haughton doubtless allowed this season's team a more versatile equipment of attack than was at hand a year ago. It will be a game in which mistakes cannot be made by either team without effect on the result; but in spite of the fact that Cornell has headed its season to date toward the game with Harvard, the Cambridge team is one the writer feels has the better chance, provided it can play its best football, and play it all the time.Cornell's Kicker and Quarterback F. T. SHIVERICK