NOTABLES AT CELEBRATION

100TH ANNIVERSARY OF SCHOOL AS DISTINCT PART OF UNIVERSITY.

The 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Divinity School as a professional school distinct from the University was celebrated yesterday. A program with events throughout the day was successfully carried out by the Alumni Association. A special prayer service conducted by Rev. F. G. Peabody '69 was held in Appleton Chapel at 8.45 o'clock. At 1 o'clock the visiting alumni were entertained at a luncheon at the house of Professor Peabody. At 3 o'clock in the lecture hall of the Semitic Museum two papers were delivered, outlining the history of the Divinity School from its founding in 1816 to the present date. The Reverend Robert S. Morison, Librarian emeritus, treated the subject, "The First Half-Century of the Divinity School." President Eliot followed this address with a paper, the subject of which was "The Changes of a Century in Theological Education at Harvard." The first paper gave a concise history of the school from 1816 to 1869. Founded by the donations of graduates of the College who had gone into the ministry, the School continued to expand. By 1819 there were four professorships established by the corporation. Rev. Morison explained that "the organization of the students was perhaps more definite than that of the instructors." In one of the courses lectures were held once a week at the pleasure of the instructor. On the other hand, every student was required to possess a copy of the old and new Testaments in the original language. A thorough knowledge of Latin, Greek, mathematics and history was assumed.

Building Proposed for School.

In 1825 a plan to erect a building for the School was proposed. Pasture land in the rear of the professors' houses, the present site, was chosen. After a committee had determined that the site would be healthy, despite its perpetual dampness, building operations were begun. In conclusion the speaker paid tribute to President Eliot in view of all that he had done in bringing about the union of the Theological School with the University.

Taking up the history of the School where Reverend R. S. Morison had concluded his speech, President Eliot traced if to the present date. In 1852, of the 319 who had been enrolled, only 79, or one fourth of the total came from outside the state of Massachusetts. Of the 240 students coming from within the state only four lived farther west than the Connecticut River, three of these coming from one town.

School Remains Part of University.

In 1858 the corporation of the College petitioned to the legislature to grant the separation of the Divinity School from the University. The bill was not granted. Another bill was introduced where by the state should resign all Divinity School trusts to them for the maintenance of the School. In 1865, the court having given no decision, the petition was withdrawn. "Thus it was settled that to train students in theology was an essential part of Harvard University."

After a summary of the various professors who had been appointed from time to time, President Eliot spoke of the affiliation with the Andover Theological School. A definite plan for this move was drawn up in 1908. This union greatly increased the opportunities for theological study for students are credited with courses taken in another institutions. A similar agreement was formed with the Episcopal Seminary located in this city. A few years later the Boston University and the Newton Theological Schools were also allied.

In closing President Eliot pointed out the fact that men of all denominations are to be found both in the Faculty and in the undergraduates. Fifty years ago practically all professors and students were Unitarians, which led many people to believe that it was an institution for instructing men of one sect. "The future of the clerical profession in this country depends upon the conforming to the standards in truth-seeking which modern science has set up."

Following the meeting tea was served in the Common Room of Divinity Hall by the ladies of the Faculty.

At 7 P. M. an informal dinner was held in the Assembly Room of the Union, Rev. Professor F. G. Peabody '69, presiding. Dean Fenn, representing the School, spoke of its achievement. "The number of graduates, 1,500 during the past century, is not in itself great. The Andover Seminary, during the same period of time, graduated over 3,500 men. But the number of men who have been heard from after they have left the School is remarkable." Of the 500 men now living connected with the School from 1876-96 one in seven has been eminent enough to be mentioned in 'Who's Who.'"

"The central thing is that we have maintained the principal for which this school was founded. Fifty years ago controversies were raging within the School."

Other speakers were President Lowell, Rev. Howard N. Brown, president of the Affiliated Theological Schools, and several members of the Alumni