THE PORTMANTEAU THEATRE

The productions of the Portmanteau Theatre at Jordan Hall this afternoon and evening represent an important expression of the "little theatre" movement, which has made itself so strongly felt in America. It is true that the scenery and settings are more meagre than those to which we are accustomed; for emphasis is placed upon the acting rather than upon the husk of the production. An attempt, is made to get away from present-day realism--to turn to simpler more imaginative forms which have a charm of expression that characterizes the strolling players of the Elizabethan Era. A feeling of intimacy is established between actor and audience.

That there is a distinct demand for plays of this type is shown by the welcome which the players received at the Century Theatre in New York. Among the Eastern colleges and universities, the Portmanteau Theatre has met with especial enthusiasm. It is well worth while. Those who attend either of today's performances will be pleasantly surprised with the excellent acting, the quaint atmosphere and with the choice of plays.