YALE WARRIORS FIGHT TO BREAK HARVARD'S STRING OF VICTORIES

BLUE PLAYERS OUTWEIGH UNIVERSITY MEN EIGHT POUNDS TO THE MAN, BUT CRIMSON IS SLIGHT FAVORITE.--BOTH SQUADS HAVE DEPENDABLE SUBSTITUTES.

The University football team meets Yale at New Haven this afternoon in the annual gridiron contest between the two universities. There is but little to choose between the two elevens. The University rules a 10 to 9 favorite in the betting odds but the only reason Yale demands this is because it fears a repetition of the result of past years, when after Yale had defeated a strong Princeton team, it fell before the Crimson. Yale won over Princeton by a larger score than that made by the University, but this is offset by the fact that Yale was able to score only by taking advantage of Princeton's mistakes. And again, Brown scored as many points against the regular Blue team as it did against the Crimson substitutes, a comparison which again gives the University an advantage on paper.

As the teams will line up this afternoon Yale has a considerable advantage over her opponent in weight. Almost every man on the University team is outweighed by the corresponding man on the Blue eleven. But the Yale team, though heavier, has not worked together in its present form as long as has the University because of the frequent injuries which have from time to time forced some of the best players on the Blue squad to retire from the game. Such men as Bingham, Braden and Sheldon have been lost to Yale, and consequently today's probable line-up will contain a combination which has not been together for more than two weeks. The men who will in all probability start the game for the University have formed the first eleven practically since the Cornell game. The one exception is that G. C. Caner '17 will start at right tackle instead of H. L. Sweetser '17, who played that position against both Cornell and Princeton. Although Caner has not been regularly on team A on account of injuries, he is a veteran of two years' experience, and should increase rather than detract from the team play of the line.

The backfield combination of E. L. Casey '19, R. Horween '18 and T. C. Thacher '18 as field general, is the strongest the University has played this year. Thacher, as defensive back, has an able substitute in R. H. Bond '19; H. C. Flower '19's running is inferior only to that of Casey, whose place he is ready to fill; and H. W. Minot '17 is expected to punt up to his good standard should he be sent in for Horween.

The second string men, though not as powerful as the regulars, has been closely drilled so that if any linesman should be injured the strength of the defence will not be noticeably weakened by the insertion of a substitute.

Light Practice Yesterday.

(By CRIMSON Special Correspondent).

NEW LONDON, CONN., Nov. 24, 1916.--During the morning the team rested at the hotel, and at a special performance witnessed moving pictures of the Harvard. Princeton game. After lunch the players took special cars to the Eastern League ball park, where a very light signal drill was held. The men practiced in street clothes and sneakers. Minot did some good punting and Taylor practised passing the ball. Horween and Robinson also tried drop-kicking against the wind. The coaches did little but supervise the work, leaving the men to their initiative. The air was cold and bracing, and the entire squad walked the two miles back to the hotel.

Blagdon, Trumbull, Wigglesworth, S. Curtis, Logan, Felton, Withington and Fisher joined the coaching staff today. The rest of the squad arrived at 6 tonight and later in the evening all the men were present at a blackboard talk. This completed the team's preparations for the game. The players and coaches are in fine spirits, and no nervousness is apparent. The team will leave for New Haven tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock