TRIBUTE PAID TO JOHN HARVARD

Exercises Held Yesterday in Memorial Delta and Appleton Chapel.

The exercises in commemoration of the 309th anniversary of John Harvard's birth were concluded yesterday morning with the usual ceremonies before John Harvard's statue in Memorial Hall Delta and the address by Dr. Albert Parker Fitch '00, in Appleton Chapel. When the Memorial Society and other members of the University had assembled in the Delta, W. D. Canaday '17 and R. N. Cram '17 placed wreaths upon the founder's statue and J. W. D. Seymour '17 delivered the address. Turning toward the statue; he told of the debt we owe to John Harvard in the following words:

"Upon this anniversary we are gathered here to commemorate the birth of him, to whom more than to any other man we owe our life within this University. Three hundred and nine years ago John Harvard was born, the man whose gift was later to bring into being Harvard College. Today we do honor to him, and to this statue we turn in tender gratitude.

"John Harvard, we thank you! In our rush of daily tasks we oft lose sight of our indebtedness to you. Yet in our every work, done fairly and joyously for our college, we are in reality paying to you deep and loyal tribute. For with the eye of truth you saw--dimly perhaps and far away--a future college of breadth and strength and forward marching progress; and believing in that ideal you gave lavishly of your, worldly store to further it. Where others saw a possibility, you clearly saw a certainty, and your sacrifice has led to our presence here today.

"Far beyond your first conjectures of a college has Harvard grown; changed in form and curriculum it assuredly is; but the ideals which you raised are still our ideals; the verities you would uphold are still our beliefs, and your Veritas is still our banner of advance.

"Year by year to your feet come new men; year by year that band of men, who claim the honor of bearing your name, increases in number, for four short years we live among the places which the magic of tradition has turned to shrines. And to those same shrines through all the long after-years we shall turn for sustenance of life.

"Your stamp, John Harvard, is a seal upon the faith of an army of your sons. It unites them, strengthens them, and gives them everlasting pride. We who have once borne your banners can never again escape your guidance. In seeking to be worthy of it shall we find our reward and growth.

"For this opportunity, then, of becoming sons of Harvard we are forever in your debt. Again we great and humbly thank you."

Following the address J. H. Townsand "if led the singing of "Fair Harvard," and after cheering under the leadership of J. W. D. Saymour '17 the assemblage gathered in Appleton Chapel where Dr. Fitch conducted the morning prayers