DISSERTATIONS FOR BOWDOIN PRIZES DUE BEFORE APRIL 1

Translation to Latin or Greek or Essay on Approved English Subject May Be Chosen.

Conditions governing the Bowdoin Prizes for 1916-17 have been announced by Professor C. P. Parker, chairman of the Committee on Bowdoin Prizes. As last year, prizes will be given both to graduates and undergraduates for the best dissertations in English, Greek or Latin. These must be submitted to the Secretary of the Faculty not later than April 1, 1917. All essays receiving honorable mention will be considered in the award of scholarships and the granting of degrees with distinction.

Dissertations in English.

1. For undergraduates: (a first prize of $250, two second prizes of $100 each.) Open to all undergraduates in regular standing in 1916-17. Essays may be on any subject approved by the Chairman of the Committee on Bowdoin Prizes. These forming part of the regular work in an elective course may be offered in competition with the consent of the instructor of the course. The committee may divide either or both of the two second prizes between two competitors. The first prize will not be divided.

2. For graduates: (three prizes of $200 each.) Open to any holder of an academic degree in arts, literature, philosophy or science, who has been in residence since the beginning of the academic year. In the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences, Applied Sciences and Business Administration, or who has completed a year of residence in these Schools within a period beginning not more than two years before Commencement Day of the year of competition.

For the year 1916-17 a prize will be offered in each one of the groups numbered 1, 2 and 3. 1: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Engineering; 2: Biology, Geology, Anthropology and Forestry; 3: Foreign Languages and Literature, ancient and modern.

Competitors are at liberty to select their own subjects; but these must be approved in advance by the committee on Bowdoin Prizes. No essay offered by a graduate may contain more than 15,000 words, it being understood that parts of doctoral dissertations are eligible.

Dissertations in Greek and Latin.

1. For undergraduates-(a prize of $50.) For a translation into Attic Greek of the passage in John Jay Chapman's "Greek Genius and Other Essays," beginning on page 37 with the words, "The next scene is frankly comic," and ending with the chapter.

2. (A prize of $50.) For a translation into Latin of the passage in Ralph Adams Cram's "Heart of Europe," beginning on page 113 with the words, "Master Robert of Concy," and ending on page 119 with the words, "akin in spirit and in truth."

2. For graduates: (a prize of $100.) For an original essay in either Latin or Greek of not less than 3,000 words on any subject chosen by the competitor, written by a holder of an academic degree who has been in residence in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences for one year within the period 1915-17.