OLD COINS UNEARTHED IN YARD

Copper Cent Pieces of 1787 and 1802 Six Feet Underground.

Two very interesting finds were made Wednesday by some workmen who were digging in the Yard for the purpose of replanting trees. A pair of old coins and a rusty key were unearthed, buried more than six feet below the surface of the ground. One of the coins is dated 1787. It bears the legend "Fugio," and shows a sun shining down upon a sun-dial. Underneath the dial are inscribed the words, "Mind Your Business." On the reverse side is a chain of thirteen links, surrounding a circle in which are the words, "United States--We have One."

This coin is a copper cent, and is known among collectors as one of the "Fugio" coins. It was one of the earliest coins under the authority of the United States, being coined in the city of New York in 1787, and struck by means of a drop piece. It is also known as the "Franklin," "Sun-Dial" and "Mind Your Business" cent.

The other coin dug up is dated 1802, and is also a copper cent piece, coined at the Philadelphia mint. A bust of liberty is represented upon it in profile. It is not believed to be a particularly rare coin however.

The "Fugio" coin was found in front of Hollis Hall, but the other piece of money and the key were dug up near Sever Hall. The latter find is probably not very old, although there is nothing about it upon which to base a surmise of its age. It is modern in appearance, and does not seem to be corroded by rust to any great extent. The key is nothing unusual in appearance.