THE LOWELL INSTITUTE

One of Boston's greatest civic possessions is the Lowell Institute. It was founded in 1836 by John Lowell, Jr., and has been giving free public instruction ever since. There is everything in these lectures to interest Harvard students. President Lowell is the trustee, and many of the professors of the University are speakers.

A course in American history is now being given on Wednesdays at 8 and Thursdays at 5. The lecturers include Professors Wendell, Channing and Hart. Sir Edwin Pears, the historian, is delivering lectures on the Byzantine empire and the Turks every Monday and Thursday at 8. Mr. Ralph Adams Cram, one of our greatest architects, is to speak about mediaeval architecture on Tuesdays and Fridays at 8, beginning tomorrow. Later in the year Dr. Sarton, of the University, will lecture on science and civilization in the time of da Vinci, Professor Mather, of Princeton, is to speak on modern painting, Professor Adams, of Yale, on the economics of war, and Dean Gay on the industrial revolution. Every one of the these subjects should appeal to us and the lecturers are all of the highest repute. The building is easily accessible. The time will not conflict with any work. Nothing but disinclination or ignorance can keep a man from the enjoyment of so unique an opportunity.